February 25, 2020 Board Minutes
Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2020
Time: 12:00 PM
Location: THINC Board Room
The meeting began at 12:00 PM.
- Welcome- Bill Stump, THINC Board Chair
- Motion called for approval of January minutes- Bill Stump
- P&L- Leonard Phillips
- Contributions- Gerald Wyatt
- Synovus- $10,000 to fund SLAM camp this summer (came in February)
- TCSS- $1,750 half amount of $3,500 for Behind the Scenes with Laurence Fishburne on March 11th
- Scott Family – $150 Appreciation of what THINC did for her child that formerly attended THINC.
- Randy Jackson scholarship to send one THINC student on an International trip
- Approval of Transfer of Assets to TCSS- Gerald Wyatt
- Various items, list provided – TCSS motion and seconded motion passes to send fund to TCSS.
- Gerald Wyatt- $14,500 to Mauldin & Jenkins to provide financial statement.
- Expeditions Update- Carrie Tomlin
- Expeditions is in the process of hiring students for the 20-21 school year, which will be the 4th year for Expeditions.
- There are 7 different employers that will be hiring for a combined total of 20 positions.
- Jindal Films will offer a total of 21 positions.
- Healthcare is being added into Expeditions for the upcoming year and 10 positions have been confirmed, but THINC is still meeting with various healthcare providers.
- Expeditions tours will be offered March 13th.
- A survey was conducted to track student interest- healthcare was 31.5%, manufacturing was 31%, both was 25% and other was 12.5%
- 118 students shared interest in KIA offering manufacturing, healthcare and public relations positions.
- Question asked about student hours in WBL:
- Some students attended classes in the morning and work during the afternoon, but some attend work in the morning then report to school for afternoon classes.
- WBL students can earn 1-4 academic credits.
- Students work on the minimum number of ours and trade some school hours for work hours.
- WBL is open to all Troup County School students.
- Data requested from someone to compare competitiveness of THINC students vs base school students.
- Dr. Williams asked that all data requests come to him directly.
- Expeditions Signing Day will be May 22nd.
- Changes to be implemented:
- Need to customize process to accommodate healthcare
- Need greater pool of students
- Tools for counselors to recruit students for WBL
- More success stories and social media posts
- Need to increase and diversify partnerships with employers.
- CTAE Month- Veleka Battle, CTAE Supervisor/Assistant Principal
- Gift given to TCSS and THINC Board members with various items designed or chosen by THINC CTSO groups.
- Professional Dress Awards- Gerald Wyatt
- Raffle tickets are given to students that are professionally dressed every Tuesday and four tickets are drawn weekly for $10 AMC gift cards.
- If a student participates each week of the month they are placed into a monthly drawing for a $25 VISA gift card provided by the CEO, Gerald Wyatt.
- Helmet Display- Gerald Wyatt
- Helmets created by Mr. Whites History class are on display in theSPARK.
- Helmet art was created on helmets from battle by extensive research that the student groups completed on a WWII Veteran of their choice. Some students were able to speak with the Veterans and interview them with questions that they developed on their own.