June 21, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Location: THINC. Board Conference Room
One College Circle, LaGrange, GA 30240
Present: Renae Willis (presiding), Robby Burch, Darryl Harrison,
Mardi Schaufler, Toni Striblin, John Radcliffe, Mike Young,
Absent: Lucinda Person, Linda McMullen, Shawn Newingham, Greg Hicks, John Asbell,
Perrin Alford, Diane Cousins
Others Present: CEO – Kathy Carlisle
Staff- Lauren Carlisle
LaGrange Development Authority- Scott Malone
West Point Development Authority- Meghan Duke
Chair Renae Willis called the meeting to order at 12:13pm.
Corinne Hodges gave the Invocation.
Robby Burch made a motion to approve the May 24th board meeting minutes. John Radcliffe seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Corinne- KIA announced their new Chief Administrative Officer will be Stuart Countess.
- P&L Update: Corinne reviewed the P&L with the board. She stated we are near the end of the year however there are a few transactions that have not been entered. A few of the items came in over budget however the board was aware of these items (i.e. audit fees & expenses). Robby made a motion to accept the P&L. John Radcliffe seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
- FTE Report: Corinne reviewed the budget with the board. She stated most of the funds consist of staff salaries and some supply cost. There are some contributions from the school system that are not reflected in this budget such as the $200,000.00 in bus fees they agreed to waive.
- 2016-2017 Private Budget (vote): The purpose of this budget is for planning because we cannot know everything that could happen in the upcoming school year. As the strategic plan is implemented, this budget could have some changes as we go along. Toni Striblin made a motion to approve the budget. Mardi Schaulfer seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
- Science Lab Update (Corinne and Kathy): Corinne stated there was a discussion in the Finance and Fund Raising meeting about an opportunity to pay for the science lab equipment/furniture out of the operations budget. The science lab itself is being paid for out of the facility budget. Dr. Carlisle, with the recommendation from the Finance and Fund Raising committee, presented to the board how the science lab equipment/furniture can be paid for out of a combination of funds from the operations and facility budgets. She stated there are two projects going on downstairs: 1) The Science Lab 2) The renovation of two additional rooms (Math & English). She stated there is a plan for Mechatronics, Engineering, Math and Science to have collaborative learning and advanced technology to enhance learning. The TCSS is going to contribute towards some expenses, however; we will need to pay the additional cost through private funds. Dr. Carlisle was able to identify how we could pay the remaining cost through a facilities carryover, education special expense (requires board approval), donations, and a projected operations carryover. Toni Striblin made a motion to approve the use of the education special expense. Robby Burch seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously. Toni Striblin made a motion to approve the science lab budget. Mardi Schaulfer seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.
Renae Willis, Chair, introduced two visitors. Meghan Duke with the City of West Point Economic Development and Scott Malone with LaGrange Economic Development attended the board meeting.
CEO Report (Dr. Kathy Carlisle):
- THINC. won the CTE Makeover Challenge and we are the National winner. THINC was also in the top ten winners. THINC. won $20,000.00 to use towards creating a business space at THINC. where the business, mechatronics and engineering students will work together.
- Two THINC. students won the Micro $1,000.00 each at the International SkillsUSA Competition.
- Strategic Plan Summary- Dr. Carlisle gave the board an update of the strategic plan and discussed the vision of what a THINC graduate will look like.
The meeting adjourned at 1:03pm.
Next meeting date: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 12pm at THINC. College and Career Academy. One College Circle, LaGrange, GA 30240